If your car is vibrating or shaking while driving, you’re not alone. Thousands of people deal with this issue on a daily basis. The shaking could be caused by numerous different issues, but luckily, a good mechanic pretty easily diagnose what’s causing your car to vibrate. Today we take a look at some reasons why your car is shaking.
Here are some of the more common reasons your car is shaking or vibrating:
1. Bent Axle – It doesn’t take a lot to bend one of your axles, and even the slightest bend can lead to shaking, especially at high speeds. If you got into a minor accident, hit a curb or strike a pothole, you may have bent an axle. These can be straightened or replaced rather easily by an experienced mechanic.
2. Brake Issues – If the shaking occurs while braking, you likely have an issue with your brake pads or rotors. The rotor helps your car slow down and stop, but it wears down over time due to repeated friction. Rotors with significant wear will cause vibrations when braking.
3. Wheel Problems – A wobbly wheel or loose tire can also cause your car to shake. This can occur if your improperly attempt to rotate your tires. If they aren’t secured properly, your car will shake, and you’ll want to pull over quickly as it can lead to an accident. If your tire is secured properly, it might be an issue with your wheel bearings. These bearings are designed to last for the life of your vehicle, but if you’ve driven your car for a long time, it’s possible that they’ve worn out.
4. Shocks or Struts – Worn or damaged shocks and struts can make tiny bumps in the road feel like huge holes. Drivers with worn shocks report a shaking or bouncing sensation while driving. Again, this problem can be easily diagnosed and fixed by a mechanic rather cheaply.
5. Ball Joints – Your ball joints play a pivotal role in your suspension and in steering. The ball joint acts as a pivot between your wheel and your suspension. Over time, these can wear down and cause problems with your steering and suspension, which in turn causes the car to shake.
If you are experiencing shaking while idling or driving, you should visit a trusted auto body shop. They’ll be able to diagnose the problem and fix it before it turns into a larger issue.
Unless you have a friend or family member who is well versed in automobiles, finding a trusty mechanic can be an intimidating process. We would love to believe that people in the service industry are inherently trustworthy, but unfortunately that isn’t always the case. Although you may never know for sure until you’ve had service […]
Sales of self-driving cars are expected to grow from 230,000 in 2025 to nearly 12 million by 2035, a new study suggests. Self-driving cars are currently few and far between, but researchers believe sales will exponentially increase as technology continues to improve. By 2035, researchers believe the cumulative sales of self-driving cars will top 54 […]
Airbags have been saving lives since 1967, but unlike their seatbelt cousin, most people don’t give their airbag a second thought until they need it. Today, we’ll explain how the modern airbag functions. A Little History Before delving how an airbag functions, it’s worth understanding how the airbag came to be. Credit for the invention […]