If your car is vibrating or shaking while driving, you’re not alone. Thousands of people deal with this issue on a daily basis. The shaking could be caused by numerous different issues, but luckily, a good mechanic pretty easily diagnose what’s causing your car to vibrate. Today we take a look at some reasons why your car is shaking.
Here are some of the more common reasons your car is shaking or vibrating:
1. Bent Axle – It doesn’t take a lot to bend one of your axles, and even the slightest bend can lead to shaking, especially at high speeds. If you got into a minor accident, hit a curb or strike a pothole, you may have bent an axle. These can be straightened or replaced rather easily by an experienced mechanic.
2. Brake Issues – If the shaking occurs while braking, you likely have an issue with your brake pads or rotors. The rotor helps your car slow down and stop, but it wears down over time due to repeated friction. Rotors with significant wear will cause vibrations when braking.
3. Wheel Problems – A wobbly wheel or loose tire can also cause your car to shake. This can occur if your improperly attempt to rotate your tires. If they aren’t secured properly, your car will shake, and you’ll want to pull over quickly as it can lead to an accident. If your tire is secured properly, it might be an issue with your wheel bearings. These bearings are designed to last for the life of your vehicle, but if you’ve driven your car for a long time, it’s possible that they’ve worn out.
4. Shocks or Struts – Worn or damaged shocks and struts can make tiny bumps in the road feel like huge holes. Drivers with worn shocks report a shaking or bouncing sensation while driving. Again, this problem can be easily diagnosed and fixed by a mechanic rather cheaply.
5. Ball Joints – Your ball joints play a pivotal role in your suspension and in steering. The ball joint acts as a pivot between your wheel and your suspension. Over time, these can wear down and cause problems with your steering and suspension, which in turn causes the car to shake.
If you are experiencing shaking while idling or driving, you should visit a trusted auto body shop. They’ll be able to diagnose the problem and fix it before it turns into a larger issue.
Wheel balancing is just another great service we provide at Affordable Auto Service. Wheel balancing is important because it keeps your tires, bearings and suspension system in order. See, when a wheel is set onto the axle with a new tire, it needs to have its weight evenly distributed around the axle. Our wheel balance can […]
Brace yourself. Winter is coming. Make sure you take appropriate steps to ensure your car is ready for another cold Minnesota winter. Below, we share some tips to help you winterize your car. Repack Your Trunk – It’s time to take the beach ball out of your trunk and load it up with winter essentials. […]
They say that in Minnesota, we really only experience two driving seasons – Winter and Construction. You may prefer one to the other, but something you need during both seasons is a great pair of brakes. Whether the roads are icy or you happen across a pothole repair crew, you’ll want to make sure you […]