With summer in full swing, many Minnesotans are considering tinting their car windows in an effort to keep their car cool when the temperatures rise. We specialize in window tinting, and while some people prefer to tint their windows on their own, you’ll want to make sure you stay in line with the law. We know the laws when it comes to window tinting in Minnesota, but let’s see if you can pass the Window Tinting Quiz!
Before we begin, we want to quickly explain Visible Light Transmission percentage. VLT is the amount of visible light the window allows in. So if a window has a VLT of 80%, the window allows 80% of light in. Along the same lines, a window with a 10% VLT only allows 10% of visible light to pass through the window.
1. You can tint your car’s front windshield in Minnesota, but only if the Visible Light Transmission (VLT) percentage is 90% or higher.
2. On a passenger car, the VLT percentage for the front and back side windows must be at no less than _____ VLT.
3. On a passenger car, the VLT for the rear windshield must be at no less than _____ VLT.
4. On a larger vehicle like an SUV, truck or minivan, the VLT for the rear windshield only needs to be above _____ VLT.
5. Car windows cannot reflect more than a certain percentage of light. This is so drivers don’t blind one another with super reflective windows. Under Minnesota law, windows can’t reflect more than ______ of light.
6. Since window tinting isn’t a perfect science, Minnesota law gives drivers a little leeway when it comes to tint and light reflection laws. All drivers must be within state regulations of VLT and light reflection within:
A. +/- 2%
B. +/- 3%
C. +/- 5%
D. +/- 8%
7. Three vehicles are specifically mentioned in the Minnesota Statute as being allowed to have more tint on their rear and side windows. Name one of the exempt vehicles. (Bonus points for correctly knowing all three!)
Here are the answers to the quiz questions.
1. False, no tint is allowed on the front windshield. 2. C, 50%. 3. C, 50%. 4. D, 20%. 5. C, 20%. 6. B, +/- 3%. 7. Police car, Limousine, Hearse.
We hope you enjoyed the quiz, and please don’t hesitate to contact us if you want to have your windows tinted!
Your engine is the lifeblood of your vehicle, so it makes sense that you should take extra care of it. Considering all the tasks your engine is asked to preform, it’s no surprise that junk and debris can build up over time in your engine system. One way to get rid of that excess build up […]
Let’s face it. Just because we get plenty of opportunities to drive in snowy conditions doesn’t mean we’re all experts. Driving takes skill even in perfect conditions, so it’s especially important to practice safe driving habits when the weather is less than ideal. Below, we share five driving tips to remember as the winter weather […]
Picturesque Minnesota is bustling with life during the fall, and many people hop in the car to check out the state’s beautiful landscape and attractions. To help you in your search for fun fall activities in Minnesota, we complied a list of five places to drive to before it gets too cold. In the event […]